Atomic Heart Mother (Madar-e Ghalb Atomi)
Directed by Ali Ahmadzadeh
Produced by Amir Seyed Zadeh
Written by Ali Ahmadzadeh, Mani Baghbani
Starring Taraneh Alidoosti, Pegah Ahangarani, Mehrdad Sedighiyan, Mohammad Reza Golzar
Music by Sahand Mehdizadeh
Cinematography Ashkan Ashkani
Edited by Ali Ahmadzadeh, Ehsan Vaseghi
Release date 2015
Running time 97 minutes
- 65th Internationale Filmfestspiele Berlinale-Forum, Germany. February 05-15, 2015.
- 39th Hong Kong International Film Festival, 2015. « Global Vision » section. March 23-April 06, 2015.
- 17th BAFICI/Buenos Aires Festival Internacional De Cine Independiente, Argentina. April 15-25, 2015. « International Competition » section
- 2nd Iranian Film Festival Cologne, Germany. May 29-31, 2015. «Non-Competitive Festival »
- 21st Los Angeles Film Festival-Film Independent, USA. June 10-18, 2015. « World Fiction Competition »
- 6th Odessa International Film Festival, Ukraine. July 10-18, 2015. « International Competition » section
- 11th Zurich Film Festival, Switzerland. September 24-October 04, 2015. « New World View »
- 9th Nuremberg International Human Rights Film Festival. Germany. September 30-October 07, 2015. « Forum section »
- 16th San Diego Asian Film Festival, CA, USA. November 5-14, 2015. « Discoveries » section
- 8th Austin Asian American Film Festival, Austin, TX, USA. November 12-15, 2015. « Competition » section
- 5th Festival International de Cinéma La Orquídea, Cuenca, Ecuador. November 14-20, 2015. « Competition Section »
- 2nd Brisbane Asia Pacific Film Festival, Australia. November 19-29, 2015. « A Matter of Form » section.
- 27th Palm Springs International Film Festival, USA. January 01-11, 2016. « World Cinema Now » section.
« A genuine surprises through the sort of films we are unaccustomed to seeing in general, let alone Iran. The first is Ali Ahmadzadeh’s peculiar « Atomic Heart, » a film which begins with a duo of ambling, well-to-do young women as they return from a party. Inevitably, Richard Linklater’s « Before » trilogy and « Certified Copy » spring to mind-only for Ahmadzadeh to take a sharp turn into philosophical sci-fi around the midway point, complete with multiple realities and Saddam Hussein »
James Berclaz-Lewis, Indiewire
- Boston Festival of Film From Iran, Museum of Fine Arts Boston, USA. «Non-Competitive Festival » Screening dates: January 28 & 29, 2016.
- Edinburgh Iranian Film Festival, Scotland, UK. February 19-21, 2016. Venue: Filmhouse Cinema, «Non-Competitive Festival »
- Iranian Film Festival, Freer Gallery of Art in Washington DC, USA. From January 02 – February 28, 2016.
Screening date: February 28, 2016 at American Film Institute (AFI), Silver Theatre, Washington DC. «Non-Competitive Festival »
« You’ve never seen an Iranian movie like this,” wrote Bob Strauss in the Los Angeles Daily News, “nor probably any movie quite like it, either.” In this surreal Tehran nocturne, two drunk party girls get into a car accident and receive help from a mysterious stranger (played by Mohammad Reza Golzar, an unnervingly dead ringer for George Clooney). He pays off the other driver and enlists the girls in an errand involving a supposedly dead dictator, whose weapons of mass destruction are hidden in another dimension.
With its apocalyptic and supernatural overtones—and surprising pop culture references ranging from an obscure Pink Floyd album to Daft Punk’s “Get Lucky”—Ali Ahmadzadeh’s film paints a picture of contemporary Iran like no other. »
Bob Strauss in the Los Angeles Daily News.
- 11th Osaka Asian Film Festival, Japan. March 4 -13, 2016. « Special Screening » section.
- Movies that Matter Festival, Amsterdam, Netherlands. March 18-26, 2016. «Non-Competitive » section
- Center For Asian American Media (CAAM) San Francisco, USA. March 10-20, 2016. «Non-Competitive Festival »
- Philadelphia Asian American Film Festival, USA. November 14-15, 2016. «Non-Competitive Festival »
- 3rd FILMADRID International Film Festival, Madrid, Spain. June 8-17, 2017. «Non-Competitive » section
- CINEMA IRAN-Iranisches Filmfestival München, Germany. July 12-16, 2017. «Non-Competitive Festival »